Step Up to a Fall Fitness Challenge!
Posted on: August 31, 2018 | By: grimes
Get fit this fall with our Get Fit Grimes Step Challenge from September 5 to October 8.
Choose a team based on age (Kids, Teen/Adult, Grimes City Staff). Track your steps and add them to your team’s total. We will announce a winning team on Tuesday, October 9, as well as top stepper on each team.
By signing up, you will receive a free pedometer and tips to help you get extra steps in during your regular daily routine. Get the whole family involved for a friendly competition. Take advantage of the great parks and trails through Grimes and get the most out of the Iowa’s great fall weather!
Click here to sign up!
Here are some great tips to help get a few extra steps in on a daily basis:
- Check your pedometer before you go to bed. Then, walk around the house until you get to the next round number on your pedometer. For example, if you are at 6,345 steps for the day, walk 55 more steps to reach 6,400.
- On your way to the bathroom, walk 3 steps forward and 1 step back the whole way there.
- Refill your water bottle once an hour, whether it needs it or not.
- Take 20 steps before you check your smartphone/tablet for notifications.
- Take 50 steps before you play a game or use social media on your smartphone/tablet.
- Every time you receive a text, walk 10 steps.
- Download audiobooks with Bridges or Hoopla on your device. Instead of reading time, enjoy a walk while you listen to your book.
- Park your car in the back of the parking lot. Don’t drive yet? Park your bike at the end of the bike rack!
- Challenge you classmates to races at recess. If don’t have recess, race your friend/coworker/spouse to the drinking fountain.
- Go for a 10 minute walk after supper.
- Hungry for a snack? Make it count! Check the calories on the package and walk that many steps while you munch.
- Take your pet for a walk! If you don’t have a pet, grab a stuffed animal and take it for a walk.
- For every 10,000 steps you reach in a day, reward yourself with a sweet treat!
- Touch every tree trunk in Water Works Park next to the Grimes Library.
- Play musical chairs! Change your seat every commercial break when you are watching TV. Netflix lovers, that’s every 7 minutes.
- Try to increase your daily step count by just 10 steps over the previous day. By doing this, you will add over 6,000 steps to your challenge total! If everyone on your team does it, you could increase your team total by as much as 120,000 steps!
- Get others involved! Tell other people about the step challenge and ask them to join. By having friends and family participate, you can all engage in walking activities together. And, who doesn’t like a friendly competition?