Help Children Build Strong Language Skills
Tips to work with your child to build a strong vocabulary and other language skills.
• Listen as much as you talk
• Talk about things your child is already interested in.
• Make a conversation longer by adding new information or asking a follow-up question.
• Make a point of introducing your children to other adults or children, telling one another their names.
• Use meal time to ask about the day’s events.
• Use drive time. (Turn off the radio.)
• Reread familiar stories, and talk about the book.
• Follow the child’s lead, and encourage a train of thought he or she already has.
• Comment on what your child is doing. “Oh, you made a big house!”
• Ask a variety of questions in conversation. (Who, What, Where, Why, What do you think?)