Part-time Library Clerk
The Grimes Public Library is currently seeking an enthusiastic, customer service oriented individual to fill the position of permanent part time clerk for an average of ten hours per week. The qualified candidate is detail oriented and well organized, adapts well to a changing environment, enjoys working with the public, and has above average computer skills.
Minimum requirements for this position include a high school diploma or GED and at least one year of experience working with the public. Preferred requirements include some college and prior library experience.
Applications can be submitted to Jill Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grimes Public Library Job Description – Library Clerk
- The Library Clerk is responsible for duties pertaining to the day to day operations of the
library at the Circulation Desk. They are responsible for assisting patrons and staff with
regards to library services as needed.
- Uses library automated circulation system to circulate materials to library users
including checking materials in and out, processing holds, registering borrowers, and collecting fines and fees.
- Assists the public with searching the catalog and locating materials including reader’s advisory.
- Clean materials returned and review for damages.
- File materials and shelf reads as time allows, especially new materials.
- Sort materials by section for the filers.
- Complete problem slips when necessary.
- Prepares items for return through AEA
- Uses library equipment to assist patrons with gaming, faxing, copy services, and scanning.
- Answer phones in a polite and courteous tone.
- Prepares cash drawer at beginning and end of the shifts.
- Prepare statistics and reports.
- Greet patrons and provides excellent customer service.
- Assist with public computers and technology classes.
- Performs opening and closing duties.
- Issue new cards.
- Takes program and room reservations.
- Provides community information and assists patrons with reference questions.
- Keeps all areas of library organized and cleans as needed including moving furniture and materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to listen carefully, take instruction, learn procedures quickly.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Above average computer skills.
- Basic knowledge of libraries and Dewey Decimal System.
- Knowledge of databases and online library systems.
- Ability to file in correct order.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time, to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, stand, sit walk, use hands to finger and grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. Occasionally climb, balance, stoop and crouch and shovel snow.
- At least one year of experience working with the public.
- Excellent customer service and phone skills. For example but not limited to: greets customers by using their name or in a pleasant and welcoming manner; always has a pleasant and sincere tone when speaking on phone and to people in person; gets through patron transactions quickly as to prevent lines from forming; always aware of facial expressions and body language of patrons to help determine when they are in need of assistance; always willing and eager to assist customers but not exceed the guidelines of the library policies.Prior library / office experience preferred with above average computer skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends within the library building or other building as directed by supervisor.
- Good vision – far, near, and depth perception.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
- High school diploma or GED; one year of college preferred.
- Clerk reports to the Head of Circulation.
Approved by the Grimes Public Library Board of Trustees on September 2015