Your Library Card
Who can get a library card, how to apply, and how to use your library card.
- Who is eligible to get a library card?
- All residents of Grimes, rural Polk County, and other communities contracting with the library who are 5 years of age and older may get a Grimes Public Library card with proof of current identification.
- Appropriate identification consists of current photo identification with current physical address. If the photo identification does not list the current address a second form of identification, such as a checkbook, utility bill, machine printed piece of mail, etc., will be required.
- Children under the age of 18 will need a parent or legal guardian to sign their library card application.
Your responsibilities as a library card holder
- You are responsible for everything that is checked out with your library card, therefore the library staff recommends that you do not check out items for friends or neighbors (we know it's harsh, but if they do not return the materials, you will be held responsible!)
- You must pay all fines and fees assessed on your library account.
- If you lose your library card, just show us your ID and you can get a replacement card for $1.00.
- Books and audio books check out for 3 weeks.
- DVDs, Videos, and Magazines check out for 1 week.
- You may return all library materials to the drop box located at the circulation desk, or to the 24-hour drop box located to the right of the front door.
- For your convenience you may drop off your Grimes Public Library materials to any Iowa library and they will be returned to us.
- The library charges a fine of 10¢ per day for each book, audio book, or magazine returned after the due date.
- The library charges a fine of 50¢ per day for each DVD, Blu-ray, or Video game returned after the due date.
- A patron's library account will be restricted if fines reach a total of $4.00 or more. The total amount of fines must be paid before the patron can resume library privileges.
- If a patron has an item overdue by two weeks or more, a notice will be sent out reminding the patron to return the item.
- If a patron has an item overdue by four weeks or more, a bill will be sent noting the price of the item.